Fat loss ultimately comes down to eating less, it really is as simple as that. However doing it and sticking to it is where it gets a little bit complicated. To lose weight you need to expend more calories then you burn, and a good sensible amount is around 3500 calories deficit per week. This will ensure a sensible loss of around 1 lb of fat per week. So why not 2 lbs a week or 5 lbs? Well when trying to lose that much that fast, we severely stress the body and risk all sorts of hormonal imbalances. Trying to lose weight too fast is one of the major mistakes that people people make. Crash dieting simply does not work. The majority of the weight you lose will be muscle and water. Fat loss is a slow process and takes time. The most successful method is to do it very gradually over a long period of time. In that way your body is not stressed and you can get a healthy amount of nutrients.
Here I have compiled a list of 5 points to help you stick to your diet and make sure you are losing fat consistently and safely.
- Don’t eat too little. This is the sure fire way to stop fat loss in its tracks, make you feel miserable and risk all sorts of health problems. Eat a little bit less, and exercise a little bit more. This all adds up over time and the fat will really come off!
- Eat lots of protein. Protein satiates the hunger better then any other macro nutrient and is very low in calories. Include lots of protein and you will feel fuller for longer.
- Eat lots of vegetables. Vegetables are packed with fibre and nutrients and will help you feel fuller for longer. They will also ensure you are not deprived of essential nutrients while on a calorie deficit.
- Drink lots of water. You will feel fuller for longer if you drink lots of water. And of course the health benefits of drinking water are well established. You will feel more satiated and will burn more fat.
- Now here is the most important tip of all. Make sure you include weight training with your fat loss regime. This will ensure that you are not sacrificing your muscles instead of burning fat. You will burn more fat and preserve more muscle if you do weight training in combination with your calorie reduced diet.
Adhering to these very simple measures will get you on the road to success quite easily, you will lose fat consistently and not feel deprived and miserable at the same time. Good luck!